Soft, chewy red velvet cookies with cream cheese frosting! The perfect sweet and tangy combo. So pretty and festive, perfect for Christmas or Valentine’s Day!
My Christmas cooking kicks off with a recipe I’ve been wanting to try since I was 9 years old…I can’t believe I’ve waited nearly 20 years for something so easy, so tasty and so pretty! Does anyone else have a ton of bookmarked cook books, magazine clippings and pins that you never get around to trying? I might make it a New Year’s Resolution to try a recipe from my stockpile once a week.
But let’s get back to the cookies on hand! These cookies start with a boxed cake mix so they couldn’t be quicker. They bake up moist and chewy with lovely crinkles on top. And who doesn’t love the combination of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Delicious anytime, but especially festive during the holidays!
I can’t wait to try other flavor combinations. Spice cake with cream cheese frosting is another favorite of mine, and a light, luscious lemon would be supreme.
Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, eggs and oil until well combined. Dough will be stiff. Roll into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Flatten balls slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set around edges. Cookies will be very puffy, but flatten as they cool. Remove to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Slowly incorporate powdered sugar, then whip until light and fluffy. Pipe or spread onto the bottom side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home, Dec/Jan 1996
P.S. If you like these, try my Peppermint Mocha version!
These Red Velvet Cookie with Cream Cheese Frosting were linked to: Time to Sparkle @ The Recipe Critic, Saturday Night Fever @ Diary of a Recipe Collector, Off the Hook @ Daisy Cottage Designs, Tasty Tuesdays @ Anyonita Nibbles, Inspiration² @ Live Laugh Rowe, Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane, Link Party Palooza @ Tatertots & Jello, Show Stopper Saturday @ Will Cook For Smiles, Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things, Sweet & Savoury Sunday @ Baking in Pyjamas, Inspiration Monday @ I Should be Mopping the Floor, Inspire Me Wednesday @ Seven Thirty Three, The Party Bunch @ The 36th Avenue, Best of the Weekend @ Little Miss Celebration, Wonderful Wednesday, Tuesday Talent