This here is my favorite breakfast in cupcake form. I eat my pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup. It’s how I’ve always done it since I was a child, learned from my mother, who also ate it this way as a child.
I usually get a weird look when I pull out the peanut butter jar from people who have never tried it, but don’t knock it ’til you try it! Pancakes, peanut butter and syrup were meant to be together. It’s also excellent with sunflower seed butter if you have a peanut allergy.
The cupcake alone is just a basic buttermilk pancake batter. You wouldn’t want to eat it plain but you can make real pancakes with it if you wish. I added chocolate chips to sweeten the deal, topped them with silky peanut butter frosting and then drenched them in maple syrup while they were still slightly warm from the oven. All that’s missing is the bacon!
Pancake Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, plus extra for garnish
- Pure maple syrup, for garnish
- 1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, egg and buttermilk until well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, mix all ingredients except the cream in a stand mixer or with handheld beaters. Add the cream a tablespoon at a time and beat on high speed until light and silky. Pipe onto cupcakes, top with extra chocolate chips and drizzle with maple syrup.
Source: cupcakes from The Sweet Little Book of Cupcakes, frosting adapted from Ina Garten