This is part 2 of the Mexican food series I mentioned in this post in honor of my grandma and mom’s birthdays. This recipe is all Tex-Mex since Texas is where my mom was born. It’s a tender, flavorful shredded beef that’s easy to make in the slow-cooker. You can control the heat level by adding more or less chipotle pepper to your taste.
It makes a wonderful taco filling for homemade flour tortillas. It also tastes great with eggs for breakfast or with a rice and veggie bowl for dinner. But my favorite way is a “cook your own quesadilla bar.” Suggested fillings and toppings: machaca, various cheeses, pinto or black beans, sliced avocado, onions, cilantro, salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!
Machaca (Tex-Mex Shredded Beef)
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds boneless rump or chuck roast, cut into 1-pound chunks
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- Season beef with cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, beef stock, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce and onion. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until meat is tender and falls apart.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; reserve a cup of liquid. Strain out the tomatoes, chiles and onions and use as a “salsa” topping later, if desired. Shred the beef and moisten with reserved liquid if needed. Serve beef.
Wonderful blogs I link to:
Time to Sparkle @ The Recipe Critic, Saturday Night Fever @ The Weary Chef, Off the Hook @ Daisy Cottage Designs, Tasty Tuesdays @ Anyonita Nibbles, Inspiration² @ Live Laugh Rowe, Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane, Link Party Palooza @ Tatertots & Jello, Show Stopper Saturday @ Will Cook For Smiles, Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things, Sweet & Savoury Sunday @ Baking in Pyjamas, Inspiration Monday @ I Should be Mopping the Floor, Inspire Me Wednesday @ Seven Thirty Three, The Party Bunch @ The 36th Avenue, Best of the Weekend @ Little Miss Celebration