This sardine rice bowl with an egg on top features canned sardines in tomato sauce. It’s quick, nutritious and budget-friendly!
This is what I call my poor man dinner. A “what can I make with what I have” recipe. But budget food doesn’t have to be bland!
This dish can be thrown together quickly and requires very little cooking. Do you like sardines? Don’t knock ’em till you’ve tried ’em! They’re actually really tasty and so healthy in vitamins B and omega-3’s. This is a step up from the classic sardines and crackers with hot sauce, but mainly because I didn’t have any crackers haha.
Sardine Rice Bowl
- 1 can of sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 cup of cooked rice (or quinoa or couscous)
- 1 large egg, fried or poached
- Red pepper flakes (cayenne or aleppo chile pepper)
- Warm sardines with sauce in microwave. Serve over rice. Top with the cooked egg and sprinkle of hot pepper flakes.