Soft, chewy mocha cookies sandwiched with peppermint cream cheese frosting. These Peppermint Mocha Cookies are even better than your favorite drink!
This post gets a shout-out to my girl Anna who inspired this recipe with her love of Starbucks! Even though we’re over 12,000 miles apart, I’m reminded of Christmas shopping, knitting/crocheting gifts together and, of course, a stop at Starbucks. My favorite holiday drink by far is a hot Peppermint Mocha Latte. Pumpkin Spice has nothing on the magical combination of espresso, chocolate and peppermint. Mmm, my mouth waters just thinking about it!
Now just imagine that Peppermint Mocha drink in cookie form. You can have your latte and eat it too! I based the cookies off this recipe for Red Velvet Cookies so it is super simple yet stunning. Oh how I love a gorgeous cookie platter! Be sure to subscribe via email and get my free cookbook with preparation and presentation tips for the best cookie platter!
These cookies start with a cake mix so they couldn’t be simpler. Plus, no chilling time required for the dough so they bake up in a flash. They’re also easy to customize. If you don’t like coffee, just leave out the espresso and you’ll have amaaazing Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. Instead of rolling in crushed candy canes, you could roll in festive colored sugar or sprinkles, or you could dye the frosting red or green. Merry Christmas and Happy Baking!
Peppermint Mocha Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Crushed candy canes, sprinkles or colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together cake mix and espresso powder, discarding any lumps. Add eggs and oil and beat until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Flatten balls slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set around edges. Cookies will be very puffy, but flatten as they cool. Remove to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in peppermint oil. Slowly incorporate powdered sugar, then whip until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto the bottom side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches. Roll edges in crushed candy canes, sprinkles or colored sugar.
Want more cookies? Check out these GINGERSNAPS which are exclusive for email subscribers! Sign up below.