Tender, crisp brown sugar shortbread. The brown sugar gives them a caramelize flavor! These cookies are only 3 ingredients and heavenly with a cup of afternoon coffee.
These cookies are crisp and buttery with notes of caramel from the brown sugar. With only 3 ingredients and the slice-and-bake method, these cookies are easy peasy. Plus, they’re a cinch to make ahead of time to have a cookie dough log on hand in the refrigerator or freezer for fresh baked cookies on the fly. I can’t tell you how good they are with a cup of espresso.
This is the first year I’m participating in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and I am absolutely thrilled! Nearly 500 food bloggers from around the world joined together to raise over $7,000 for Cookies For Kids’ Cancer through a cookie exchange with our partners OXO, Land ‘O Lakes, and Dixie Crystals. Who doesn’t love getting cookies?? I know I sure loved the Jingle Jewels that arrived from Laura at Main Line Feast, Dark Chocolate Amaretto Cookies from Jacque at 5 O’Clock Fashionistas and Honey Gingerbread Cookies from Wendy at The Monday Box!
I chose these Brown Sugar Shortbread cookies since I knew they were sturdy and hoped they would hold up well in the mail. If you’re looking for cookies to send in a care package, these ones are tried and true! For your convenience and baking inspiration, all of the cookies that were part of the swap are going to be rounded up in one place this weekend. Be sure to follow me on Facebook so you don’t miss that link! If you’re a food blogger who would like to participate in the swap next year, please sign up for notifications here. Happy baking!
Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Turbinado sugar or colored sugar for rolling
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar, about 3 minutes. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. On a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and comes together, about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a log about 1 3/4-inches in diameter. Roll edge of log in sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Unwrap logs and slice into 1/3-inch rounds. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300°F for 25 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Adapted from Quick Cooking, May/June 1998