Smoked Salmon Appetizer Dip is rich, creamy, smoky and easy! The best way to get the most bang for your smoked salmon buck is with a crowd pleasing dip served with bagel chips or veggies!
Smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods – right up there with potatoes and bacon. (Yes, my favorite food is potatoes! Boil ’em, mash ’em, stick ’em in a stew…) I enjoy my smoked salmon with cream cheese on bagels or straight out of the vacuum sealed package! I love the rich, smoky flavor combined with the melt-in-your-mouth buttery texture.
The only downside is that it can be somewhat expensive. That’s where this dip comes in. You get all the flavor of a smoked salmon appetizer, but it goes even further! Plus, it’s fancy enough for a party like the Oscars, yet simple enough for some gameday eats.
Like my favorite Dill Dip, it can be made well in advance and the flavors will only improve. I like to serve this with bagel chips, since lox and bagels are a classic combo, but it would also do well with a platter of vegetables for dipping. I also thought about mixing leftover dip with some pasta (linguine would be good!) for a quick, delicious dinner, but that would mean there has to be dip leftover…
Bonus: this dip is made with one of my other most favorite ingredients in the world: horseradish. Seriously, I looove the stuff. For some, the flavor can be quite spicy (I like a good sinus cleanse), so adjust the level based on your heat tolerance.
Update (1/26/16): This contest has closed and a winner will be announced on 1/27/16! Thank you everyone who entered!
Now for an amazing giveaway! I’ve teamed up with 14 other awesome food bloggers and we have a 5-quart KitchenAid Pro 500 Stand Mixer up for grabs! Head over to my Instagram account for the details. January 24th (EST) is the last day to enter!
Smoked Salmon Appetizer Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish (more or less depending on spice level)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Dill, minced red onion or lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
- Bagel chips or vegetables for dipping
- Place all of the ingredients (except garnish) in a food processor or high powered blender and mix until smooth.
- If you would like flakes of salmon throughout your dip, process all of the ingredients except for the salmon. After blending, add salmon and pulse until desired texture is reached.
- Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with dill, minced onion or lemon wedges and serve with bagel chips or veggies.
Recipe adapted from The Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook