Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Hand Pies – similar to your favorite enchiladas suizas or enchiladas verdes. Cream cheese is blended with chicken, green chiles and shredded cheese to create a creamy filling. Wrapped in flaky pastry crust, they form the perfect hand held bite!
You may have seen my recent recipe for Taco Hand Pies. Well, they were a huge success, but I actually had these Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Hand Pies in mind when I set out to create a pie. I love enchiladas, but I’m not a huge fan of all the steps that go into them – frying, dipping, filling, rolling, saucing, etc. (That’s why I love my Enchilada Casserole!)
So I condensed it down to a filling that captures the essence of green chile chicken enchiladas. It’s creamy, cheesy, bright and flavorful. Diced green chiles are magnificent little vegetables that really need to be used more often! They punch up the flavor without making it spicy-hot.
Let’s talk pie crust for a minute. If you’re a pie crust wiz, by all means make your own. I use store-bought pie crust in this recipe for two reasons:
Number 1: it’s convenient. Sooo much easier to just roll out, cut and bake. It cuts down on prep time by at least 15 minutes.
Number 2: I haven’t mastered the perfect from-scratch pie crust yet. I grew up watching my dad make his famous oil-based crust (versus using butter or shortening), but mine never turns out like his. I will have to keep practicing, but until then I rely on pre-made dough, which tastes pretty great in my opinion.
Whatever route you choose, I hope you enjoy these green chile chicken enchilada pies. My husband declared them better than the beef and bean taco pies. I’d love to hear which is your favorite!
~ Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Hand Pies ~
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (4.5oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 2 small breasts, 4oz each)
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded cheese (Monterey, cheddar or colby)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package double crust pie (or 2 homemade pie crusts)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, green chiles, chicken and shredded cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll out pie crusts and cut into circles (I used a 5 1/4 inch round). Fill with cream cheese mixture (I used about 3 tablespoons) and fold pastry in half. Seal by crimping with your fingers or a fork.
- Brush pies with egg and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet about 15 minutes or until golden brown.