This post first appeared over at Eazy Peazy Mealz where I am a contributor.
Sweet and tart homemade lemon squares with a shortbread crust! Light and crisp cookie base topped with ooey gooey lemon filling!
If you’ve been following my blog you know that I have a huge sweet tooth. So today I’m sharing my family’s beloved recipe for homemade lemon bars.
I first made them when I was about 10 years old and my mom declared them to be the best lemon squares she ever tasted. Naturally I’ve been making them ever since!
These luscious lemon squares are completely from scratch, but don’t worry, they are easy peasy. If a 10-year-old can do it, anyone can!
Making them from scratch means you get to control the amount of sugar which results in the perfect balance of sweet and sour. I’ve even made them with bottled lemon juice and no one can tell the difference!
If you’re a lemon lover these bars are for you! If you’re pressed for time, try my Lemon Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting – they start with a cake mix and can be ready in 30 minutes!
The bars start with a shortbread cookie crust. Only three ingredients – flour, butter and powdered sugar – which gives it a crisp, flaky texture. Mix together, press the dough into your pan and bake it.
While the crust is baking, whip up the lemon layer. The secret to my lemon squares is to beat the filling until thick and pale yellow. The batter will fall back upon itself in ribbons when you lift it with a spatula.
The filling then goes directly onto the crust. No need to wait until it has cooled since it goes right back into the oven to finish baking. Cook just until set (I like mine gooey). Sprinkle with powdered sugar after cooling and enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated or powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixer or food processer, combine the flour, butter and 1/2 sugar. Press into bottom of ungreased 13×9 baking pan. Prick crust several times with a fork and bake crust for 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice, baking powder and salt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Pour filling over crust and bake 20-25 minutes, or until no imprint remains in center when touched in center.
- Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares.