If you love coffee cake, you’ll love these cinnamon streusel muffins! Soft vanilla muffins topped with brown sugar crumbles. Perfect for a weekend brunch or breakfast on the go!
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
These muffins take me back to my childhood. My three siblings and I were home schooled, which means our schedule was at our disposal. Some days we would have a huge brunch for no special reason. Call it home economics class.
There were always baked goods in our house and coffee cake was a favorite. The only way to improve upon coffee cake is when it’s in a cute, individual portion like these cinnamon streusel muffins.
These muffins are soft and tender with a great vanilla flavor. But the highlight is the cinnamon and brown sugar crumble topping. It’s good enough to eat by itself! Sweet and buttery, this topping tastes just like the kind you get at bakeries and coffee shops.
These cinnamon streusel muffins are much like a cupcake in that they start off with a creamed butter and sugar base. When adding the dry ingredients, do not overmix. This is will help ensure your muffins are tender.
When making the streusel, I like to use my hands to incorporate the butter. The mixture will hold together in clump when squeezed if properly mixed.
One of my favorite things to do when baking muffins is to make extra and freeze them for later consumption. I individually wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag. Then on mornings when I’m in a rush, I can grab a muffin on the go and it’s thawed by time I get to work.
Sometimes I warm it in the microwave for ten seconds and it tastes fresh baked. Blackberry Lemon Muffins are one of my other favorites and freeze beautifully! Alongside a hot cup of coffee, it is five minutes of peace before a busy day begins.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners or lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine topping ingredients: flour, brown sugar cinnamon and salt. Cut in the butter until completely incorporated. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in milk and vanilla.
- While mixer is on low speed, add dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Cups should be about 2/3 full. Sprinkle generously with streusel topping, pressing down firmly on the tops to ensure that it sticks.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe first appeared on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I am a guest contributor.