Layers of fudgy chocolate brownies, cheesecake pudding and cool peppermint combine in this festive dessert. Chocolate peppermint trifle is the easy yet stunning dessert to make this holiday season!
Chocolate Peppermint Trifle
You all know how much I love trifles by now. There are several reasons why I think trifle is such a great dessert, first and foremost because they look amazing.
One of my all-time favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and peppermint. Rich fudgy chocolate cooled with peppermint makes my taste buds so happy. My favorite Christmas cookies are chocolate cookies stuffed with candy cane kisses and this chocolate peppermint trifle does not disappoint!
When people see this chocolate peppermint trifle, I guarantee there will be oohs and ahhs throughout the room. It’s a beautiful table centerpiece and definite showstopper!
The other reason I love making trifles is because they are so easy. Simply layer your ingredients and you have a magnificent dessert that’s almost effortless.
Speaking of easy, except for the brownies, this particular trifle is almost no-bake as well. Your grocery’s bakery may sell ready-made brownies, or you can use a box mix or whip up a batch from scratch. You’ll need two 8×8 pans or one pan of 13×9 brownies.
The filling is equally easy using boxed pudding and whipped topping (or homemade whipped cream). Pudding is my secret ingredient in the kitchen!
One of my favorite Christmas cookies are pistachio pudding cookies which have a soft interior thanks to the pudding and a festive green color. I used cheesecake flavored pudding for this trifle, but vanilla would work just as well.
I would not recommend using actual candy canes for this recipe or the flavor will be too overwhelming.
Tasters of this dessert say the coolness of the mint keeps this trifle from becoming too rich. They found it refreshing after a full dinner. They also particularly loved the peppermint candy I used since it was soft and easy to chew.
Pin this to your dessert board!
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz each) instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Prepared brownies – two 8x8 pans or one 13x9 batch
- 10-12 oz white chocolate peppermint candy, crushed (amount varies by brand)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes. Fold in the whipped topping (may save 1 cup of whipped topping as garnish, if desired). Place mixture in refrigerator while preparing the other ingredients.
- Cut the brownies into 1-inch cubes. Crush or chop the chocolate into bits, if it is in large pieces.
- In a 3-quart bowl, layer 1/3 of the brownies, 1/3 of the pudding and 1/3 of the candy. Repeat layers two more times. Garnish with reserved whipped topping, if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
This recipe first appeared on Amanda’s Cookin’ where I am a guest contributor.