I grew up on Huevos Rancheros (Christmas breakfast tradition at abuela’s!), but when I visited Mexico my host-mother informed me that Huevos a la Mexicana were more popular there–and just as delicious!
This is a quick, easy recipe that’s great for breakfast or dinner.
- 1/2 a small white onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno or serrano peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté onion, tomato and pepper in oil over medium heat, just until they begin to soften. Vegetables should be tender-crisp.
- Pour in the beaten eggs, season with salt and pepper, and scramble until set, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with any of the sides listed in the notes.
Accompaniments: beans, avocado, tortillas, rice, salsa, cheese, salad (nopales would be nice!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 372mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.