A few years ago I tried my first Madeleine cookie. Or is it a cake? I’m not sure, but I instantly fell in love. I should probably mention they were out of a package from Starbucks, so I can’t even vouch for the authenticity of those Madeleines, but I was in love.
These are something people don’t usually make since you have to have a special pan, and the batter requires some planning, but they’re so worth it. They have a delicate spongy texture that I’ve infused with one of my all-time favorite flavors: vanilla bean. I use vanilla bean paste which is easier than scraping out pods. I also added honey to give it a floral note. These are great anytime, but somehow they’re perfect on a snowy day.
Vanilla Bean Madeleines
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Adapted from Joy of Baking