I meant to post this recipe sooner, but alas, I’m still adjusting to life with my new job. For those wondering, all is going well!
I should mention these cookies are not considered dessert. Anything with espresso automatically goes into the “essential food group” category. 😀
I’m currently on a ganache fixation (see the ganache-filled peanut butter cookies I posted last week), but chocolate is so good it should also go into the healthy essentials category! That might be pushing it, but when chocolate is combined with espresso, it’s especially hard to deny.
Espresso shortbread cookies (that really aren’t sweet on their own) get the cream and sugar treatment with a milk chocolate ganache filling. I went the fancy route and used my new Linzer Cookie Cutter, but a quick method is to just roll the dough into a log, freeze until chilled, then slice into thin rounds and bake!
Mocha Cappuccino Cookies
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso (or regular espresso beans, finely ground)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (about 2/3 cup if using chocolate chips)
Source: adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies, by Martha Stewart