Italian Sausage Sandwich – sausages simmered in tomato sauce with peppers and onion until they melt in your mouth, sandwiched between buns, then loaded with oozing, gooey mozzarella cheese!
Back in Chicago this Italian sausage sandwich is known as the bomber sandwich.
They’re surprisingly easy to make with just a few ingredients, but flavorful results.
Plus, they’re a hit with everyone and great for parties!
We also love this Sausage and Peppers Pasta which is ready in just 30 minutes!
Italian Sausage Sub Ingredients:
- Italian sausages – you can use mild or spicy. I prefer spicy!
- Tomato puree – make sure to use a large can or two small ones
- Peppers & onions – these melt into the tomato sauce and give it incredible flavor. Don’t skip out even if you don’t put them on the sandwich itself!
- Mozzarella cheese – get a block and shred it yourself for maximum gooeyness!
- Buns – hotdog buns won’t be sturdy enough for these substantial subs. If you’re in the Chicago area try to get Turano rolls or use French bread.
- Hot peppers or giardiniera – if you want to spice things up these are great toppings!
Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
This recipe is especially meaningful to me because it was passed down from my dad.
He makes his own sausage for these bombers, but I’ve simplified it by using Italian sausage links.
My dad simmers his on the stove for hours with peppers and onions, until the sausage takes on a buttery, melt-in-your-mouth quality.
With my version, you can pop everything in the slow cooker where it will cook and then stay warm until ready to eat.
If you prefer stovetop, I’ve included those instructions below as well.
These sandwiches aren’t called bombers for nothing! Serve with extra sauce if you like and enjoy the perfection that is meat, cheese and bread in one bite.
- 1 can (29oz) tomato puree
- 2 lbs Italian sausage links, mild or spicy
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Crusty rolls (like hoagie buns) for serving, warmed
- In a slow cooker, place the tomato puree, sausage links, bell pepper, onion and celery salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours, or until cooked through.
- Serve sausages on rolls and top with mozzarella cheese.
Stove top method: In a large pot, brown sausages on all sides. Add the rest of the ingredients except for cheese and buns. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 3-4 hours until cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1082mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.