Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers – sausages simmered in a zesty tomato sauce until they melt in your mouth, sandwiched between buns, then loaded with oozing, gooey mozzarella cheese! These bombers are perfect for the Big Game!
Did you know January is National Sunday Supper Month? I had no idea, but there is a whole month dedicated to family meal time.
This is my first time contributing to Sunday Supper and I am so thrilled to be a part of the community!
We’re closing out the month with recipes focused on another event that brings family (and friends) together – football!
As a child, I was blessed to have supper around the table with my family every night of the week.
Those times bonded and grew us in ways I didn’t understand, but it is something I practice with my husband and a tradition we will continue with our future children.
We encourage families to make time for a sit-down dinner at least once a week!
You can find out more about Sunday Supper at the end of this post along with.
Now on to the food. I have an incredible recipe for you today! You will definitely want to make this one…for gameday, for dinner and every other chance you get!
It’s extremely easy and a hit with everyone. Touchdown!
This recipe is especially meaningful to me because it was passed down from my dad.
He makes his own sausage for these bombers, but I’ve simplified it by using Italian sausage links.
Use mild or spicy depending on your taste!
My dad simmers his on the stove for hours with peppers and onions, until the sausage takes on a buttery, melt-in-your-mouth quality.
With my version, you can pop everything in the slow cooker where it will cook and then stay warm throughout the party.
The Italian sausage cheese bombers are served on sturdy rolls (hotdog buns won’t do) with mozzarella cheese – and lots of it!
These sandwiches aren’t called bombers for nothing! Serve with extra sauce if you like and enjoy the perfection that is meat, cheese and bread in one bite.
Be sure to check out my other amazing recipes for your football festivities and see what the Sunday Supper movement is cooking below! If you liked these Italian sausage cheese bombers, you can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!
Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers
- 1 can (29oz) or 2 cans (15oz) tomato puree
- 2 pounds of Italian sausage links, mild or spicy
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Crusty rolls (like hoagie buns) for serving, warmed
Stove top method: In a large pot, brown sausages on all sides. Add the rest of the ingredients except for cheese and buns. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 3-4 hours until cooked through.
More Great Recipes for Game Day!
Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheese Board and Baguettes Make for the Start of a Great Game Day Feast by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cheesy Crabmeat Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Crock-Pot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Nacho Waffle Fries by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread and a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Sweet and Spicy Hummus by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Texas Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Cheeseburger Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Game Day Chili by Our Good Life
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
Desserts and Drinks
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Game Day Mocktails by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.