Italian Sausage Sandwich – sausages simmered in tomato sauce with peppers and onion until they melt in your mouth, sandwiched between buns, then loaded with oozing, gooey mozzarella cheese!
Italian Sausage Sandwich
Back in Chicago this Italian sausage sandwich is known as the bomber sandwich.
You may also see it called a hoagie or sub.
They’re surprisingly easy to make with just a few ingredients, but flavorful results.
Plus, they’re a hit with everyone and great for parties!
We also love this Sausage and Peppers Pasta which is ready in just 30 minutes!
Italian Sausage Sub Ingredients:
- Italian sausages – you can use mild or spicy. I prefer spicy!
- Tomato puree – make sure to use a large can or two small ones
- Peppers & onions – these melt into the tomato sauce and give it incredible flavor. Don’t skip out even if you don’t put them on the sandwich itself!
- Mozzarella cheese – get a block and shred it yourself for maximum gooeyness!
- Buns – hotdog buns won’t be sturdy enough for these substantial subs. If you’re in the Chicago area try to get Turano rolls or use French bread.
- Celery salt – this is the secret ingredient. You can use Italian seasoning if you want, but this is way better!
- Hot peppers or giardiniera – if you want to spice things up these are great toppings!
Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
This recipe is especially meaningful to me because it was passed down from my dad.
He makes his own sausage for these bombers, but I’ve simplified it by using Italian sausage links.
Dad simmers his on the stove for hours with peppers and onions, until the sausage takes on a buttery, melt-in-your-mouth quality and the vegetables have melted into the sauce.
I’ve also included crock-pot instructions below as well.
You can pop everything in the slow cooker where it will cook and then stay warm until ready to eat.
These sandwiches aren’t called bombers for nothing!
Serve with extra sauce if you like and enjoy the perfection that is meat, cheese and bread in one bite.
- 2 lbs Italian sausage links, mild or spicy
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 can (29oz) tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Crusty rolls (like hoagie buns) for serving, warmed
- In a large pot, brown sausages on all sides.
- Add the peppers, onions, tomato puree and celery salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook for 3-4 hours until sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- When ready to serve, warm the rolls in the oven or microwave along with some mozzarella cheese. Add the sausage and top with more cheese and sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1082mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.