This hash brown potluck staple gets a dinner makeover with the addition of smoked sausage. Creamy, cheesy smoked sausage potato casserole is also great for using up leftover ham! Serve with a green vegetable such as roasted broccoli or asparagus for a complete meal!
Welcome back to another Sunday Supper. Root vegetables are in the spotlight this week! Thanks to Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting us this week.
Cheesy hash brown casserole is one of my favorite recipes. This classic side dish (also known as funeral potatoes) is a potluck favorite. In fact, this recipe is adapted from a church cookbook. Those compilations are the best because you know they’re tried-and-true crowd-pleasers!
So let’s get down to the root of this casserole.
This casserole features my favorite root vegetable: potatoes! This particular recipe is awesome because it uses frozen, diced hash browns, no thawing necessary! You can absolutely peel and dice fresh potatoes, but I love the convenience of a bag of potatoes in the freezer.
After slicing my smoked sausage or kielbasa, I like to brown it in a pan before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I find that this adds another layer of flavor and draws out excess grease, plus the crispy, caramelized bits are my favorite part. If you’re using a lean sausage or short on time, this step is not necessary.
The type of cheese you use is your choice. Basically any kind of good shredding/melting cheese will work. Cheddar, colby or Monterey Jack blend are all delicious choices. Swiss cheese would be good too, especially if using diced ham instead of smoked sausage!
Did I mention this is a great way to use up leftover ham? Yes, I’m already thinking about leftover Easter ham!
Be sure to check out the other root vegetable recipes at the end of the post. I’ve got my eye on all things carrot cake!
~ Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole ~
- 1 package (13-16oz) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup finely diced onion (about half a large onion)
- 1 lb frozen hash brown potatoes (diced or southern style)
- 1 can (10.5oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 tub (8oz) sour cream
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheese (cheddar, colby or Monterey Jack), divided
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Root Veggie-White Bean Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Beetroot Orange Marmalade with Fluffy Sweet Potato Biscuits from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cassava Cake from Basic N Delicious
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Sweet Potato Waffles from Our Good Life
- Root Vegetable and Carrot Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Butter-Braised Spring Carrots from The Redhead Baker
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Classic Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Roasted Vegetables from Delaware Girl Eats
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Classic Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Fudgy Beet Brownies from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement