Crunchy granola clusters are easy to make with boxed cereal. Infused with cinnamon and vanilla, try these granola chunks on yogurt, ice cream or streusel for muffins!
My husband’s favorite cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats®. It’s just the two of us, but I have to buy a couple of boxes every week he eats so much!
He loves the mix of corn flakes and oat bunches lightly sweetened with honey. I always tell him to make sure he eats a bowl of cereal before he heads off to a long day of work since it’s easy and nutritious.
Personally, my favorite part of the cereal are the bunches. Those crunchy bits of oats are so addicting! I love them so much I decided to transform the cereal into these granola clusters. They’re super easy to make since the cereal already has oats, nuts and fruit, depending on which variety you get.
These granola clusters come together with a sticky syrup made with butter, brown sugar and honey. I suspect these ingredients are already in most peoples’ pantries. You can also substitute maple syrup for the honey.
I am maple syrup obsessed! The maple gives these a nice autumn flavor, but the honey accentuates the cereal, so I leave the choice to you.
I also added a little cinnamon and vanilla which made a world of difference. The warmth of the cinnamon infuses each bite.
These granola clusters are great as a topping for plain yogurt, on top of ice cream, streusel for muffins, or even by themselves as a snack. They are so deliciously crunchy! I almost named this recipe cereal brittle.
Cereal is often underutilized as an ingredient in the kitchen. But it’s too great a value to confine to breakfast alone with milk. So try this cereal recipe today and think outside the bowl!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 cups Honey Bunches of Oats®
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Let boil for one minute until sugar is dissolved.
- Add Honey Bunches of Oats®. Gently stir until cereal is completely coated.
- Pour into pan and press into even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then crumble into chunks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 216