These tasty little pineapple empanadas are a breeze to make with only three ingredients in the crust and pineapple preserves for the filling! Customize with different flavors of jam and enjoy for breakfast or dessert!
I believe food is better when shared (unless it’s the last bite!), so I was thrilled when Better Homes & Gardens invited me to share a recipe with you. After all, I’ve been a fan since I first discovered the magazine on my grandma’s coffee table 20-some years ago.
I picked these Sweet Empanaditas because they sounded like they would be the perfect ending to a meal of roasted pork, rice and beans. I was wrong – they are a fabulous dessert for ANY meal! I even ate them for breakfast!
These little pastries have a soft flaky crust which is my favorite part. The only sweetener is fruit preserves, which means they’re not overly sweet. With the holidays coming up, these will be your new favorite dessert!
Essentially an empanada is a hand pie. They can be sweet or savory. The dough is only three ingredients and these pineapple empanadas are filled with jam so they couldn’t be easier.
I chose pineapple preserves since they complement Latin cooking so well, but you can use your favorite flavor. You could even use caramel, Nutella or apple butter!
Tips and changes to Sweet Empanaditas recipe:
- Instead of rolling each pie in cinnamon-sugar, I brushed them with an egg wash before baking and sprinkled them with sanding sugar. I loved the color this added along with some sparkle.
- I mixed in a dash of cinnamon with the fruit preserves – this took the flavor from good to great!
- I made the dough ahead of time and stored it in the fridge until I was ready to bake. Terrific timesaver if you’re making these for an event.
Pin these to your sweets board!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pineapple preserves
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sanding sugar, for garnish
Time does not include time needed for chilling dough.