White Chocolate Chex Mix is the perfect combination of sweet and salty! Package up this addicting Christmas snack mix and give as gifts!
White Chocolate Chex Mix
I’ve really been working to document more family favorites and this White Chocolate Chex Mix is a classic!
There are many Chex mixes around, but mom makes the best! This stuff is so addicting and nearly impossible to stop munching on!
This snack mix is chock full of Chex, Cheerios, peanuts and pretzels. And for a pop of color: red and green M&M’s.
It all gets coated in a creamy sheet of white chocolate melts.
The M&Ms used to be my favorite part. Nobody loves candy dipped in chocolate candy more than a kid!
These days I usually reach for the Chex pieces first. Tell me, do you have a favorite? Or do you eat it all by the handful?
Today, I’m sharing my mom’s secrets for the perfect Chex mix with white chocolate.
First off is the quality of chocolate. The better your chocolate, the better the finished product.
Unless you have a specialty store near you, your best bet is to order chocolate online.
You guys, I’m not kidding about the difference in flavor. Until you have people fighting over your Christmas Chex mix with white chocolate every year, your mix has not reached elite status!
We like Merckens as an affordable yet flavorful option. If you’re looking for an in-store option, I recommend Ghiradelli white chocolate wafers, which is the probably the highest quality you can find at most major retailers.
Please avoid almond bark! It is not the same quality, texture or flavor as buttery, vanilla white chocolate.
The second tip is to make sure the chocolate is properly thinned. This is done with paramount crystals or vegetable oil.
High quality chocolate will not need as much thinning—and thus preserves more of the flavor rather than diluting it.
The amount of oil you need to add will vary by brand and kitchen temperatures. The end melted product should drip off the spoon in a continuous stream, but not be watery.
I like to melt my chocolates over a double-boiler for better temperature control, but this process can also be done in a microwave. Just keep a careful eye on it!
A nice thin coating of chocolate is the perfect amount of coverage. You don’t want goopy and clumpy.
Evenly coated mix lets the individual flavors shine through in the perfect mix of sweet and salty.
Pin this to your dessert board!
- 5 cups Cheerios
- 5 cups Corn Chex
- 2 cups cocktail peanuts
- 1 bag (10 oz) bite-sized pretzels
- 1 bag (11 oz) holiday M&M's
- 24 oz white chocolate candy coating wafers
- 3 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
- Lay out sheets of parchment paper on 3 large cookies sheets or directly on a flat surface.
- In a large bowl, combine the Cheerios, Chex, peanuts, pretzels and M&M's.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and oil, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. OR, in a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and oil on low heat, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over Chex mix and stir to coat. Spread mix onto prepared parchment to dry. Break Chex mix into smaller pieces after completely cooled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268