Sausage bread stuffed with Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese and spinach! Only 4 ingredients to make this easy sausage bread roll! No one will be complaining about eating their veggies with this one!
Sausage Bread Recipe
We call this beloved recipe spinach bread, but it’s actually more like a stromboli, bignolati or briolata filled with Italian sausage, lots of mozzarella cheese and spinach.
Italian sausage shows up in some of our best recipes like these easy Italian Sausage Sandwiches.
This is recipe is versatile because it’s filling enough to be served a dinner, yet it can also be sliced and served as an appetizer.
This spinach bread recipe is one of my dad’s specialties, and he makes homemade pizza dough for the bread.
Homemade dough is not hard to make, but it’s even easier when you use frozen bread dough like this recipe!
All you need to do is thaw it out, or some grocery stores even carry bags of fresh pizza dough in the refrigerated section.
Another option is to use canned pizza dough.
Don’t want to fuss with dough at all? Make this French Bread Pizza instead with sausage and spinach as the toppings!
How to make sausage bread:
There are two tricks to ensuring this stromboli turns out perfect.
1. Remove as much moisture from the spinach as possible.
Spinach contains a lot of water and no one wants soggy, mushy bread!
Instead, you want a nice crisp crust that’s soft on the inside.
So thaw and drain the spinach well. Squeeze out excess water and sauté in pan with sausage to evaporate any remaining water.
2. Add the cheese in two batches.
After rolling out the bread dough, add half the cheese, all of the sausage and all of the spinach.
Then sprinkle with remaining cheese before rolling up like a cinnamon roll.
A layer of cheese on both the top and bottom creates a barrier between the crust and the spinach filling so it never gets soggy.
Plus, it helps bind everything together in gooey deliciousness.
Use a brick of good mozzarella and shred it yourself for pizzaria-style melted cheese.
How to Serve
Let the bread cool a bit before slicing or you’ll have melted cheese everywhere.
This sausage roll can be eaten exactly as is, but I like to serve with marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dipping.
- 1/2 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 lb pizza or bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Ranch or marinara, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage until cooked through.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove excess moisture. Add to the skillet with sausage and sauté until heated through. Set aside.
- Roll out dough into a 14x6 rectangle, or about 1/3-inch thick. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then top with spinach mixture and remaining cheese.
- Roll up dough like a cinnamon roll, starting with the long end.
- Pinch seam to seal. Pinch the ends to seal completely and place on cookie sheet, seam side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 743mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.