Tres leches cake gets a decadent makeover with this easy chocolate tres leches cake recipe! Chocolate cake is soaked with chocolate milk and topped with whipped cream for an impossibly moist dessert!
Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
This is a chocolate twist on the classic tres leches cake (pastel de tres leches) for all you chocolate fans out there. I love it better than the original version!
Tres leches cake is a popular dessert in many Latin American countries and the Caribbean as well.
A lot of people associate it with Mexico, but the best 3 leches cake where I used to live was from a Cuban restaurant.
Why is it called tres leches?
Chocolate cake is soaked in three kinds of milk – sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk (or heavy cream if you like it extra rich). And then it’s topped with freshly whipped cream!
To increase the chocolate flavor, I add pure cocoa powder to the milk mixture to make chocolate milk.
If you like poke cakes (like Boston Cream Poke Cake), you must try this Latin version!
If you’re feeling extra spiffy, try adding a couple dashes of cinnamon to the mix as well. Delicioso!
After the cake has soaked up the tres leches, it gets soft and wet like chocolate pudding cake or lava cake.
My mouth waters just thinking about how yummy it is!
How to make tres leches cake
Begin with chocolate cake. This is an easy tres leches cake with cake mix.
Use a box of devil’s food cake and prepare it according to the instructions for a 13×9 pan.
After baking, poke holes throughout the cake with a fork. This will help it soak up the milk faster.
Whisk together the 3 milks with the cocoa powder and pour over the cake.
I do this very slowly so the cake has time to absorb the liquid without getting flooded. Don’t forget the edges of the cake!
For the frosting, make homemade whipped cream by beating heavy cream and sugar together until light and fluffy.
You could use Cool Whip for an even faster shortcut, but since one component is already not from scratch (cake mix) I like the rest of my ingredients to be fresh.
The homemade whipped cream really makes the cake in my opinion!
Refrigerate the cake before serving. This ensures that every piece of chocolate tres leches cake is soaked, and allows the flavors to blend and enhance.
Before serving, garnish with chocolate shavings or dust with cocoa powder and/or cinnamon. Buen provecho!
PIN FOR LATER!
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix (plus ingredients needed to prepare)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the cake for a 13x9 pan according to the package instructions. After baking, let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then pierce with a fork all over the cake.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Slowly pour over cake, taking care to fill all the holes created by the fork. If the cake stops absorbing the milk, let it soak in for a few minutes then continue pouring.
- In a clean, large bowl beat the whipping cream and sugar until medium peaks form. Spread over top of cake, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or longer before serving.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432