If you love buffalo wings, then you need to know how to make buffalo chicken dip! Shredded chicken is mixed with cream cheese, hot sauce, ranch dressing, topped off with cheese and served hot and melty. Only 5 ingredients and you’ve got a winner!
I’m not a huge wings fan (unless we’re talking about the band! 😂), but this dip is another story.
I can’t remember the first time I had buffalo chicken dip, but I do remember it was at a party.
I couldn’t stop eating it and I wasn’t the only one!
Quick and easy is one of the best things about dips, which makes them the perfect option when you need a party appetizer or dish to pass at a potluck. If I’m hosting, I like to make a variety of dips.
Something cool and creamy like queso fresco dip would pair nicely with this hot and spicy dip.
How to make buffalo chicken dip
For this recipe you’ll need shredded, cooked chicken. Leftover rotisserie chicken works well, but I usually prefer to poach my own chicken breasts.
That way I can cook extra and use it them for other meals throughout the week, like a quick fajita veggie quesadilla.
3 ways to shred chicken:
- While the chicken is still slightly warm shred with two forks.
- Let your electric stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer do the work.
- Place in food processor and lightly pulse. This will produce a more finely shredded texture.
The chicken is then mixed with cream cheese, blue cheese, hot sauce and ranch dressing.
You can also substitute blue cheese dressing for the ranch.
And if you’re not a fan of blue cheese, you can also use your favorite shredded cheese such as cheddar or Monterrey Jack!
(I actually like it best with cheddar!)
I find that the heat level of this dip is perfect for most people, it has just the right amount of spice. Start off with less and taste as you go if spiciness is a concern.
To finish, this dip is baked until hot and is served warm.
When it’s summer and hot outside I refuse to turn on the oven.
Luckily, you can warm this in the microwave or even on the grill!
One of the best ways to make this, however, is in the crock pot. Easy to transport if needed plus keeps dip warm.
Crock pot instructions for how to make buffalo chicken dip will be listed below in the recipe.
I like to serve this dip with celery sticks since it’s the traditional buffalo wing accompaniment.
You could also serve with carrots or any vegetable. Crackers, tortilla chips (my favorite) or sliced baguette also makes great dippers.
PIN THIS FOR LATER!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, well softened
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (or cheddar)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- Black pepper, to taste
- Celery sticks, chips, crackers or bread for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese, blue cheese (or shredded cheddar), hot sauce and ranch dressing. Mix well and season to taste with black pepper.
- Transfer dip to 1-quart oven-safe dish and back for 20 minutes or until dip is hot and bubbly.
- Serve with vegetables and chips for dipping.
Slow cooker instructions:
In a small slow cooker, combine the chicken, cream cheese, blue cheese (or shredded cheddar), hot sauce and ranch dressing. Mix well and season to taste with black pepper. Cover and cook on High for 1 1/2 hours or Low for 3 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118