Cream of Mushroom Chicken dinner – if you want chicken that’s tender and juicy this is the recipe for you! With just a couple common ingredients it could not be easier to make. The creamy gravy is just begging to be served with rice, noodles or mashed potatoes!
One of the top recipes on the blog is for Cream of Mushroom Pork Chops BAKED.
The recipe is so easy and versatile, I wanted to show how you could make Cream of Mushroom Chicken on the stovetop.
Stovetop cream of mushroom chicken comes in handy when it’s summer and I don’t want to turn on the oven.
This recipe is fantastic because you really only need two ingredients (chicken + mushroom soup) yet the flavor is PHENOMENAL.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
I do recommend seasoning the chicken for even better flavor.
I can’t cook without salt, pepper and garlic in everything!
The black pepper complements the gravy perfectly.
For the chicken I prefer to use thin cut breasts or chicken tenders.
They cook up faster than regular split chicken breasts and they’re extra juicy and…tender!
You can use regular chicken breasts, but the cook time will be much longer than listed in the recipe below.
If you have whole chicken breasts I recommend slicing them in half lengthwise.
Season the chicken, then brown on both sides. This adds an extra layer of flavor and seals in the juices.
Pour in the cream of mushroom soup, stir, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
The mushroom gravy is delicious spooned over mashed potatoes, but really tasty with whatever side you choose, such as egg noodles or rice.
Other readers have commented that they add frozen vegetables while the chicken is simmering to make this a complete meal.
Sliced mushrooms, green beans or broccoli would be yummy.
Like my pork chops recipe, the chicken can also be baked instead.
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless, skinless thin-cut chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10oz) cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Noodles, rice or mashed potatoes for serving
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on both sides until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and spread over the top. When soup begins to bubble, cover pan, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
If a thinner gravy is desired, whisk in ¼- ½ cup milk or water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 654mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 48g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.