Mexican fruit cups seasoned with chile and lime get a mouthwatering flavor boost. This traditional Mexican snack usually features watermelon, pineapple and mango for a refreshing and hydrating treat!
One of my favorite things to eat is Mexican street food in a cup, or “en vaso.”
Mexican fruit dressed with chile and lime is the perfect sweet, sour, salty, spicy combo.
You will notice that many of the ingredients really drive home and intensify these four flavors.
So, what to do when there are no Mexican fruit cups near me? Make my own!
As long as you can get your hands on some fresh fruit, the remaining ingredients can be ordered on Amazon.
I love that these fruit cups are both healthy and delicious.
A few vegetables such as cucumber or jicama makes it even healthier.
These are so refreshing on a hot day and are also great for parties and backyard BBQs!
You can use any fruit (or veggies) you like, but the more traditional ones are listed first.
Everything should be peeled and deseeded.
- Shaved coconut
Mexican Fruit Seasoning
- Tajin – what is tajin? Tajin is a mild chili, lime, salt seasoning which you can find at most grocery stores these days.
- Chile – if you want more chile flavor than Tajin, or can’t get Tajin, you can use any of your favorite ground chile powders such as ancho, California, etc.
- Lime – the acidity of fresh lime brings out the sweetness of the fruit. It’s magic!
- Chamoy – this is a sweet and sour sauce which really makes the flavors pop.
- Salsa – A little hot sauce for some spice. My favorite brand for fruit is Valentina!
How to make fruit cups
I like to cut my fruit and vegetables into sticks, but you can also cut them in chunks.
Make this even easier by purchasing pre-cut fruit from the store.
I like to add some chamoy to the bottom of the cup so the flavor is evenly distributed.
Choose a variety of fruit, then add toppings such as Tajin, a drizzle of chamoy and a little hot sauce if you like things spicy.
Serve with a fresh wedge of lime to squeeze on top.
The recipe below makes approximately 4 cups, but can easily be increased or decreased as needed!
- ¼ pineapple
- ¼ small seedless watermelon
- 1 mango
- ¼ cantaloupe
- ½ cucumber
- 2 teaspoons Tajin
- 4 tablespoons chamoy
- 2 small limes
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Peel all the fruit and core or de-seed.
- Cut fruit into spears or chunks.
- Divide the fruit among 4 cups.
- Sprinkle each cup with ½ teaspoon tajin and 1 tablespoon chamoy. Squeeze ½ lime over top and drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.
- All the seasonings can be adjusted to your taste.
- Serve with a sturdy toothpick or fork.
Other fruit options include jicama, papaya, coconut, strawberries, guava or whatever you like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.