Sweet Pistachio Pudding Cookies with a crisp exterior and a soft interior. I call these my pistachio gems – a festive addition to any holiday platter!
Pistachio Pudding Cookies
I looove Christmas cookies. Making them and especially eating them! Baking a variety of cookies with family every December is one of my favorite traditions.
Now I live far, far away from family, but it still gives me great joy to have a baking day by with friends or even by myself. Throw on some Christmas music and it’s a party!
Everyone has their own favorite Christmas cookie and these pistachio pudding cookies are my sister’s particular favorite. They’re a triple dose of nuts – pistachio pudding, almond extract and chopped pecans – but the flavors are light and complimentary. Even I (a nut disliker) don’t have a problem polishing off a plate!
These cookies get rolled in sugar before baking which gives them a crispy exterior, but stay moist on the inside from the pudding mix. They’re slightly airy yet chewy in the center. I love the texture of these cookies just as much as the taste!
These cookies keep well so they can be baked ahead of time. They can even be frozen after baking. Just pull out a few cookies when guests come over and thaw for a sweet treat.
Plus, the green color will make a festive addition to any cookie platter. I call these my pistachio gems. I like to pair them with my Red Velvet Cookies on a cookie tray along with a white cookie like Mexican Wedding Cakes or Almond Crescents. It really makes the colors pop!
Putting together a stellar Christmas cookie platter is a point of pride. You can get my Christmas Cookie ebook for free when you subscribe by email where I share all my tips for the ultimate cookie spread and favorite recipes.
Hope you enjoy them as much as my family!
Pin these to your cookie board!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 1 box (3.5 ounce) instant pistachio pudding and pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 cup pecans, well chopped
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine butter, oil, powdered sugar, pudding mix, eggs, almond extract and food coloring. Beat until well combined, by hand or in a stand mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in pecans. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar and space 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, or cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicone mat. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are set and lightly browned. Remove to wire rack to cool.