Pasta with walnut cream sauce and blue cheese – these flavors are meant to be together! Topped with a luxurious egg yolk, this blue cheese walnut pasta is dripping with class. Serve this one at your next dinner party and really wow your guests!
I have a somewhat unique recipe today inspired by an Italian restaurant we tried in Okinawa. The place was great because they serve you different kinds of bread – not breadsticks – until you turn over your “I’ve had enough” card. It’s carb heaven! Besides the all-you-can-eat bread, almost all of their pasta is served with an egg yolk on top.
If that sounds a little strange to you, then you just have to try it. The yolk breaks into the hot pasta creating an incredibly rich and luxurious sauce. Think pasta carbonara. Everyone likes pasta carbonara (with bacon!), right? Well, the sauce is made by tossing hot pasta with eggs and cheese. Similar concept here.
Pasta + eggs. They should be as famous as peas + carrots, or chocolate + peanut butter! But if the thought of egg turns you off, just continue without it. The sauce has many other assets to recommend it.
The sauce is cream-based with one very important ingredient: toasted walnuts. I can’t even describe the level of flavor walnuts adds to the pasta. So toasty. So…nutty.
Pine nuts are standard fare when it comes to pesto and pasta, but I’ve never experimented with other nuts before. I’m looking forward to testing an almond pesto in the near future! Besides the fabulous taste, the ground nuts add body and thickness to the sauce.
With the addition of walnuts, my mind went instantly to blue cheese. The sharp tang cuts perfectly through the fat and richness of the nuts and cream. Walnuts + blue cheese. Another famous pair. I recommend a nice gorgonzola, but it’s more important to choose a blue variety that you like. Some can be quite strong!
~ Blue Cheese Walnut Pasta ~
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Egg yolks, for serving
- Extra blue cheese and walnuts for garnish (optional)
- Set pasta water to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, grind walnuts until they are finally chopped.
- In a large skillet, bring chicken or vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; stir in ground walnuts, cream and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Boil pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add to sauce, tossing to coat.
- Before serving, top each portion with a raw egg yolk and garnish with extra blue cheese and walnuts, if desired.