Incredibly flavorful Thai meatballs made with chicken or pork, and spiced with ginger, garlic and cilantro. It all comes together with a slightly spicy red curry peanut sauce served over noodles. Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs is a fun way to transform a classic!
Several years ago I tried some Thai meatballs which first gave me the idea for this dish. It’s a fun play on the Italian classic. I used my love for chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce as the basis for my Thai spaghetti and meatballs.
When I think of meatballs, I immediately think of the many sauces simmering around savory bites of meat. In my opinion, meatballs are made for sauce – tomato, cream, grape jelly – almost any kind of sauce! They go together like peas and carrots.
The sauce is a cross between Thai red curry and peanut sauce. It’s dairy-free but creamy thanks to coconut milk, it has flavor and spice from red curry paste, plus the toasted nuttiness of peanut butter. This sauce is so good it can stand on its own!
But today’s feature is all about the meatballs. They’re made with ground chicken so they are naturally lean. You could also use ground pork, or a mixture of the two. I added some pork to mine so they wouldn’t be too dry, but it depends on the fattiness of the chicken you’re using. Thai turkey meatballs is also an option!
The meatballs are seasoned with ingredients that are traditional Thai flavors, yet should be easy to find. So no lemongrass or fish sauce here. Instead, plenty of fresh cilantro (I fall more in love as I grow older), green onion, garlic and ginger!
I am a ginger fanatic. That zippy, fresh flavor just can’t be beat. Too much, however, and it can really burn your sinuses.
A couple months ago my husband added several LARGE chunks of ginger to a smoothie, thinking that he was adding frozen peeled bananas. Wow, what a surprised when we slurped down that first taste! That kind of spice will put hair on your chest!
But don’t worry, there’s no fire in these Thai meatballs. Only perfectly balanced flavor. If you want to spice things up, you can add minced jalapeños or dried chile flakes.
I chose to bake my meatballs because it is so easy that way. I also used a cookie scoop to help evenly portion out the balls. Just mix, scoop, roll and bake!
These meatballs would also be tasty without the sauce. Just serve with rice or a vegetable salad. Or, eliminate the noodles and serve the meatballs in a crockpot of peanut sauce as an appetizer at your next party!
~ Thai Meatballs with Red Curry Peanut Sauce ~
- 1 lb ground chicken or pork, or mixture of the two
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (14oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste (more if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 12 oz dried spaghetti
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F. Set a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Combine the chicken (or pork), green onion, cilantro, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper until well mixed. Roll 2 tablespoons of meat into balls and place on a baking tray. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together coconut milk and curry paste and bring to a simmer, about 5 minutes. Add the peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Thin with additional water if too thick. Simmer over a low heat to keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Top pasta with peanut sauce and meatballs. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
This Sunday Supper is hosted by Sue Slusser Lau of A Palatable Pastime.
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Stew from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement