Tex-Mex shredded machaca beef cooks to perfection in the slow cooker with chipotle and onion. This machaca recipe is especially tender and full of flavor! Use this machaca beef in tacos, quesadillas and more!
Machaca Beef Recipe
This is part 2 of the Mexican food series I mentioned in my homemade flour tortillas post in honor of my grandma and mom’s birthdays.
This recipe is authentic Tex-Mex since Texas is where my mom was born.
It’s a tender, flavorful shredded beef that’s easy to make in the slow-cooker.
It’s got some kick from diced tomatoes with green chilies (Ro-Tel) and a few chipotle peppers.
Depending on your spice preference, you can control the heat level by adding more or less chipotles to your taste.
What is machaca made out of?
Traditionally machaca is made out of dried beef. Since we no longer need to dry meat in order to preserve it I’m using boneless rump roast.
Back in the day they didn’t cook it in crockpots, but luckily we do! I promise it will be fall-apart tender by the end!
But my favorite way to eat this is a “cook your own quesadilla bar.” Set up various fillings for everyone to make their own loaded quesadillas with a grilling station at the end.
Suggested fillings and toppings: machaca, various cheeses, pinto or black beans, sliced avocado, onions, cilantro, guajillo chile salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!
Pin this to your Mexican board!
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds boneless rump or chuck roast, cut into 1-pound chunks
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- Season beef with cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, beef stock, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce and onion. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until meat is tender and falls apart.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; reserve a cup of liquid. Strain out the tomatoes, chiles and onions and use as a “salsa” topping later, if desired. Shred the beef and moisten with reserved liquid if needed. Serve beef.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.