Homemade pizza gets the fast track by using baked potatoes as the crust. Add pizza sauce and cheese, plus your favorite toppings to personalize these pizza baked potatoes. Kids of all ages love this part!
Pizza Baked Potatoes
We love homemade pizza in my family, but it can be a time consuming meal to prepare from scratch. My dad has the whole process down to a science – including making his own sausage from scratch – but it still has to be prepped several hours in advance, if not the night before.
> > Pizza lovers should check out my dad's recipes for cheese bombers!
These baked potato pizzas are great because there’s no waiting for dough to rise multiple times. Pizza can now be had any night of the week! Plus, they’re individually portioned so everyone can enjoy their favorite toppings.
You can either bake the potatoes in the oven, or if you really want to shave some time, microwave them for about 15 minutes. (That’s how my mom used to get dinner for six on the table in a flash!)
This particular recipe is for 6 servings, but it’s easy to adjust up or down. If you cook extra potatoes, you can use the leftovers in these potato and egg tacos. After you’ve cooked the potatoes, top them with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings.
This is where dinner really gets fun! Kids especially love this part, plus it’s a fantastic idea for a baked potato bar at your next gathering. I like to pop them under the broiler after everyone has chosen their toppings until they get all melted and bubbly.
What are your favorite toppings? I love good old fashioned cheese and pepperoni. If I’m feeling “healthy” I’ll add mushrooms. I’m also a sucker for Hawaiian style with pineapple and ham – but I know there are a few anti-fruit on pizza opponents out there. 🙂
- 3 large or 6 small russet potatoes
- 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings such as pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, pineapple, ham, etc.
- Wash the potatoes and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake potatoes at 400°F for about an hour OR microwave on high for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Potatoes are cooked when easily pierced with a fork in the center.
- Split potatoes and top with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and desired toppings. Broil for 1-2 minutes until bubbly.
This recipe first appeared as a guest post on Amanda’s Cookin’.