While other parts of the world are celebrating the arrival of Autumn, there is no such thing happening here in Okinawa.
The temperature has been 80’s with high humidity (my glasses fog instantly when going outside), and the heat index has been well over 100°F.
But I’m not complaining! I only wish my kitchen supplies would arrive from the moving company so I could join the pumpkin baking train as well. 🙂
Luckily, I was able to do a little seasonal baking with my brother (Whole Lotta Food) before I left the States. We whipped these babies up and I shot some photos.
Now I can look back and remember the warm taste of cinnamon and apples.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup very cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced apple
- Extra cream for brushing (optional)
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
For the cream:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat egg and combine with cream.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in apple, then add the cream mixture and stir until just barely combined. There will be some dry crumbles.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times until dough comes together. Roll or pat dough out into a disk 3/4 of an inch thick. Slice circle into 8 even wedges.
- Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet, brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together remaining cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon until a loose whipped cream forms. Serve with scones. Store any leftover scones in an airtight container and rewarm before serving for that just-baked taste!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 397 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 401mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g