Say “I love you” with these cute and festive chocolate dipped butter cookies! Tender-crisp cookies that melt in your mouth go perfectly with creamy vanilla white chocolate. Go crazy with Valentine sprinkles and dress them up however you fancy!
We are back to the time of year where hearts and pink and love abound – Valentine’s Day! One of my favorite holidays whether taken or single! I’ve mentioned this before, but for me growing up with a mother who was obsessed with hearts and loved the color red, Valentine’s Day was almost like a second Christmas in our house.
The windows were decorated in various cling-on hearts, we awoke to presents in the morning, and special treats were always feasted upon. We always started with cinnamon rolls for breakfast and finished with creamy Jello Hearts for dessert. This laid the foundation for an always enjoyable Valentine’s Day – even through the single years.
Besides, how can anyone be sad when you have Chocolate Dipped Butter Cookies at your disposal? Some of my best memories are the times I celebrated with single friends. One year we donned formal attire and attended a progressive dinner, which was a blast.
Last year, I got ambitious and tried my hand at card-making. My friends and loved-ones got painstaking, one-of-a-kind, handmade Valentine cards…that ended up looking better in my head than real life! From now on I’m sticking with what I know best – food!
So I give you buttery, tender-crisp cookies dipped in creamy white chocolate. And sprinkles. Lots of sprinkles. I had so much fun decorating these cookies – I went a little crazy with the sprinkles. These cookies also take well to frosting. If you have kids, get them in the kitchen making memories and celebrating love!
One last note about these cookies. The recipe calls for orange juice (just like my chewy Chinese Almond Cookies!), but you really can’t taste the orange flavor. It has a magical quality which brightens up the other ingredients in the recipe. If you don’t have orange juice on hand you can substitute milk.
If you have any special Valentine’s traditions, please share them below!
~ Chocolate Dipped Butter Cookies ~
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 ounces white chocolate melting wafers
- Color sugar and sprinkles
- Cream the butter and sugar, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg, scraping down bowl as necessary. Add orange juice and vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Divide dough into 3 disks. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Working with one disk at a time, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired.
- Space 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets (can be lined with parchment or silicone mat), and bake at 400°F for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining disks of dough and re-chill the scraps.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and dip each cookie at various angles. Decorate with color sugar or sprinkles. Let chocolate harden and store cookies in an airtight container.
Cookie dough recipe from Land O’Lakes
Impress your loved ones with homemade cinnamon rolls. My version has bacon – the love language of many!