Hot Spinach Cheese Dip like the restaurants serve, but easy to make at home! Serve with tortilla chips to scoop up every last drop of queso!
One thing you can never have too many of are easy appetizer recipes. Specifically – dips!
This cream cheese spinach dip has the perfect amount of spice.
Plus, I feel strong like Popeye after eating this dip and a little less guilty thanks to the spinach!
It’s a great way to get littles to eat their greens on the sly.
Ingredients for Spinach Cheese Dip
Cheese – Two cheeses give this spinach dip the perfect smooth base: cream cheese and American cheese. I used white American cheese for mine, but you can also use yellow. You can find bulk American cheese at the deli counter.
Velveeta is also OK to use, or you can substitute another cheese such as Monterrey Jack or cheddar, but it may not have the same smooth, melty consistency.
Tomatoes and chilies – AKA Rotel. The great thing about these diced tomatoes is that they come in a variety of spice levels.
I recommend going spicier than you normally would since the cream cheese cancels the heat quite a bit.
I also added cayenne pepper to mine to amp up the kick.
Milk – this is to thin the dip. You can also use chicken broth or evaporated milk.
Another trick is to substitute half the milk with the juice from jarred jalapenos. This adds extra flavor and spice!
Spinach – the key here is to drain the spinach well. After it’s been steamed in the microwave, drain as much liquid as you can by using a mesh strainer and pressing the spinach with a spoon or even with your hands. Then squeeze out the remaining liquid with a cheesecloth or several paper towels.
Everything is cooked together until melted and the spinach is added last.
This spinach and cheese dip is best served right away. You can pour it into a slow cooker with the warm setting if serving at a party.
Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave with additional milk to thin it out.
I like it best served with tortilla chips, but it’s also tasty with crunchy vegetables, pita chips or sliced French baguette.
This spinach cheese dip first appeared on Food Fanatic as a guest post by Kitchen Gidget.
- 1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb American cheese, cubed
- 1 box (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel, undrained
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Ground cayenne, to taste
- Chips or veggies, for dipping
- Microwave the spinach according to the package instructions. Drain spinach thoroughly by pressing through mesh strainer and squeezing excess liquid our with cheesecloth or paper towels. Set spinach aside.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat add cheeses, tomatoes, milk and garlic powder. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally so the cheese does not burn.
- Stir in the spinach and season to taste with several dashes of cayenne.
- Serve immediately or pour into slow cooker to keep warm. Serve with chips and veggies for dipping.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 395mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate only. Please consult the labels of ingredients you use for more accurate results.